Bookmark this job
Paramedic EMS Tech
Job Post ID:
West Chicago, Naperville, Hinsdale, Joliet
1. Performs delivery of technical patient care; assisting/performing patient transports, ambulation and transfer; performance of specimen collection for urine, sputum, feces, and phlebotomy; acquisition of 12-lead EKGs; assisting patients with personal care needs, documentation of clinical test results; completion of all daily/weekly/monthly checklists; performance of wound asepsis; participation in Quality Improvement and Sustainability activities ; application of orthopedic splints, casting, and traction and educating patients on crutch/walker/cane training.
2. Places IVs at the discretion of the patient’s primary registered nurse (RN).
3. At the discretion of the patient’s primary RN, the administration of IV fluid boluses for patients 18 years of age and older.
4. Under the direct supervision of the attending physician, assists with advanced life support and electrocardiological therapies (defibrillation, synchronized cardioversion, transcutaneous pacing, CPR, advanced airway management).
5. Functions as a greeter and gathers demographic information, allergies, medications, and past medical history in triage.
6. Actively participates in and monitors the orientations of new Emergency Medical Technicians.
7. Answers telephone calls in a timely manner; takes messages when necessary and relays them to the appropriate individual.
8. Initiates phone calls and utilizes paging system as directed by nursing or medical personnel.
9. Enters orders and information into the CRT, transcribes stat orders. Cancels orders upon direction by physician or per current hospital policy.
10. Completes on-line logging and discharging.
11. Greets, directs, and assists visitors, physicians and hospital personnel.
12. May operate a number of machines (e.g. photocopier, fax, printers, computers, cardiac monitors, etc.)
13. Assists with environmental duties, including washing and cleaning instruments, replacing stock and linen, and maintaining a neat and orderly work environment.
14. Conforms to the established Standards of Behavior
1. Level of knowledge normally acquired through the completion of a high school diploma.
2. Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic licensure in the state of Illinois.
3. Current CPR certification.
4. One (1) year of previous experience in an Emergency Department setting preferred.
5. ACLS, PALS, Basic Arrhythmia and ESI certifications are desired, but if not current will be required to be obtained within 6 months of hire.
6. The interpersonal skills necessary to regularly interact with co-workers and patients/families during periods of emotional stress.
7. The analytical ability necessary to process charts, maintain logs, and compile statistics.
8. Effective communication skills both written and verbal in order to communicate with patients and their families as well as all levels of staff.
9. Prior experience with a computer including data entry.
Medical, Dental, Vision